The Lake of Menteith is a unique and special place, Scotland’s only natural Lake and an environmental oasis. On the banks is the delightful hamlet of Port of Menteith, so named as for centuries boats have made their way between the Lakeside and the Priory on the Isle of Inchmahome carrying Mary Queen of Scots, esteemed Priory visitors, munitions and in more recent years generations of visiting families. In the Port and on the banks you will find The Lake of Menteith Hotel, once the manse for the church and now a fine and popular hotel in the style of a New England Waterfront Inn.
No matter the weather nature plays out ever changing and exciting scenes: fishermen attempt to outwit wily trout, Osprey dive from great heights onto unsuspecting fish, Herons patrol the lakeside and in the late evening you can hear the splashing of the otters playing in the shallows and geese returning to roost.
In such a wonderful setting this hotel is very much of the place as well as in it, unobtrusive, complimentary and unassuming. The food is honest, tasty and plentiful. Sourced as locally as possible and served without fuss and pretension.
Located within The Trossachs National Park yet easily accessible, being an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh and twenty minutes from both Loch Lomond and the ancient City of Stirling. Stirling has more history than any other royal burgh. It dates back at least to the fifth century; it was originally built of wood. It has been torched and burnt to the ground on three occasions – firstly in March 1244; again, in 1298; and, later still, in 1385. Stirling became an important settlement because it is the lowest crossing place over the River Forth. Furthermore it has a rocky outcrop, which was a natural place to build a fort. (The name Stirling is derived from Striveling, meaning place of strife). More history here.
Some ten minutes away is the quiet historic village of Doune situated eight miles north west of Stirling on the River of Teith and home to Deanston Distillery. This popular tourist centre was once renowned as a centre for pistol-making and for its formidable castle, built by Robert, Duke of Albany in the 14th century. Today the most prominent features of the castle are its mighty 95 ft high gatehouse, which also houses domestic quarters including the splendid Lord's Hall with its carved oak screen, musicians' gallery and double fireplace. It was Swamp Castle, Castle Anthrax and Camelot in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and more recently a location in the pilot for Game of Thrones and the fictional Castle Leoch for the TV adaption of the Outlander novels. More history here.